Can you write a short story or create some artwork that has been inspired by the life of St. Robert?
As part of this year’s 800th anniversary we want to publish a children’s book of short stories, and your work could be included, perhaps even on the front cover.
The story of ‘Nigel, the knight who came home’ (available here) is an example written by Peter Lacey – we’d like some more adventures of Nigel, or someone else you imagine might have met St. Robert as well as some inspiring artwork using the images you can view and download from here, or by creating your own.
You can find out more about St. Robert elsewhere on this website, and about life 800 years ago in England at websites like this one.
The best short stories and artwork will be published alongside the story of Nigel ready for a celebration and prize giving evening on the 21st September 2018.
Judging will take place at the end of July and final decisions will be made by Daniel Ingram-Brown, local children’s writer and author of the Firebird Chronicles and by Shirley Vine, a local artist.
The categories and rules of the competition are:
- Age categories will be 11 and under, 12 to 14, and 15 & over, as of the 20th July 2018
- Short story submissions must be under 500 words for the 11 and under age category, but may be up to 1,000 words for the older age groups and must be about someone who met St. Robert (real or imaginary)
- Short stories will be judged on the criteria of originality, plot, characterisation and enjoyment with special note being given to those that reflect what we know about the way that St. Robert related to those around him.
- Artwork must be submitted as a .jpg file and will be judged on the basis of the aesthetic appeal, imagination and relevance to the subject material.
- Entries must be submitted online to (email@example.com) by the 20th July 2018.
- Any variation to the rules due to special circumstances will be at the discretion of the judges.
All entries should be submitted with the permission of the author’s parent, guardian or teacher on the official submission template that can be downloaded here.